I love this chili.
And so do my friends and family.
I’ve made this chili several times and people have raved about it. What makes it so special? I’d have to say the spices- cocoa powder and cinnamon. Plus this is a fairly healthy recipe- mainly ground turkey, tomatoes, and beans.
Oh and the recipe for cornbread is delish. It’s soft and moist. It’s the perfect companion to this chili. You could make it in a baking dish, like I usually do, or as muffins like I did this time. Either way, you’ll love it.
I literally just want this in my fridge all the time. It’s that good.
Turkey Chili with White Beans
Recipe from Epicurious
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
1/4 cup chili powder
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
2 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
3 15-ounce cans small white beans, rinsed, drained
Chopped red onion
Chopped fresh cilantro
Plain low-fat yogurt or light sour cream
1. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until light brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Add oregano and cumin; stir 1 minute.
2. Increase heat to medium-high. Add turkey; stir until no longer pink, breaking up with back of spoon. Stir in chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. Add tomatoes with their juices, breaking up with back of spoon. Mix in stock and tomato sauce. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add beans to chili and simmer until flavors blend, about 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaves.
5. Ladle chili into bowls. Pass red onion, cilantro and yogurt separately.
Recipe from One Lovely Life
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
6 tbsp butter, melted
1. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and butter.
2. Fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined (lumps are okay).
3. Pour into an 8 x 8″ baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake at 375 degrees 30-35 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.